What To Do After A Car Accident In Charlotte
The steps you take after an accident can determine whether you get protection or not. You may be entitled to compensation for the high costs of repair, and the injuries you got in the accident. An experienced car accident lawyer can help file a lawsuit against the at-fault driver.
Gather Information Of Drivers Involved In The Accident
You need to stop your car after an accident even if you think there was no damage. Once you are sure the police and emergency medical help is coming, collect the following information:
- Write down the names, addresses and license number of the drivers of all the drivers involved
- Get the full names and addresses of the passengers in any of the vehicles involved
- The full names and the addresses of any witnesses or onlookers
- You should inform the police if any of the drivers appear to under the influence of drugs
As you talk to the drivers and witnesses, do not admit responsibility for the accident because you may not have all the facts. Make sure you exchange insurance information with the other driver involved in the accident.
Other Information You Need To Gather
You should make observations and record notes on the following:
- The specific location of the accident
- The direction the vehicles were moving when the accident happened
- The damage to your car or to other cars
- The time the accident occurred
- The name of the person that accepts the responsibility for the accident
- The weather conditions at the time of the accident
All this information can be a great help when you decide to sue the at-fault driver.
Calling The Police
Contacting the police is important because the police will investigate the scene of the accident and take statements from the witnesses. They will also examine all parties involved to determine whether any of the parties is under the influence of alcohol or drugs. During the investigation the police may actually secure an admission of fault from the negligent driver, which may make it easier for you to get compensation for damages. Make sure you answer the questions police ask you honestly but do not implicate yourself.
Contacting An Attorney
You should call an attorney either after leaving the accident scene or immediately after the accident. The sooner you call an attorney the sooner the attorney will be able to gather evidence while it is still “fresh”. Your car accident attorney can hire experts to investigate the scene to determine who may have caused the accident.
Should I Seek Medical Attention?
You have to go to the doctor even if you have no visible injuries and feel no pain. The reason for this is that it may take up to 12 to 24 hours after an accident for you to start experiencing physical symptoms. Hesitating to get checked can not only be detrimental to your health but also hurt your chances of getting appropriate settlement for your injuries.